Thank you for joining the hundreds of volunteers who work with the Friends! We can accommodate large and small groups, families, and individuals. Training, tools and supervision are provided. Read below to see what fits your interest and see the schedule of events. RSVP or schedule a group by contacting Sarah Mazze, Volunteer Coordinator, at [email protected] or (541) 344-8350.
- INVASIVE PLANT REMOVAL We protect native habitat by removing invasive, exotic plants so native plants and wildlife can thrive. This is an invigorating and satisfying activity. Mondays 9-noon, special opportunities (see below) or schedule a group.
- NATIVE PLANT NURSERY This facility at Buford Park produces native plants and seed to enhance areas where weeds have been removed. Help with seasonal propagation and maintenance operations including planting, irrigation, weeding, harvesting, seed processing and sales. Observe and learn to identify dozens of native plants in different stages of development. Tuesdays, Thursdays and 1st/3rd Saturdays 8-11 am, or schedule a group event.
- TRAIL SYSTEM Good trails are essential to people’s ability to enjoy the park without damaging fragile resources. We plan, build, and maintain select trails in Buford Park. Most fieldwork occurs in late fall through spring when the ground is soft. Trail work is vigorous and can involve moving gravel, digging trenches, handling large rocks and using sharp tools. Typically 2nd Saturday morning of the month during trail season – or schedule a group event.
- PLANTING Give native plants a boost! FBP has active restoration projects ongoing on more than 700 acres in several of the park’s habitats including floodplains, prairies, and oak and conifer forests. Plantings may include trees, shrubs, wildflowers or grasses. See below or schedule a group event.
- OUTREACH Do you love people as much as you love the great outdoors? If so, we would be grateful to have you join our outreach team as an Ambassador at special events, tours, and volunteer work-parties. Training provided.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities!
Volunteer for Park Watch!
Lane County Parks, Mount Pisgah Arboretum, and Friends of Buford Park & Mt. Pisgah are teamed-up to better protect park visitor’s cars. We are pleased to continue Mount Pisgah Park Watch! Volunteer to help monitor the parking lots- you’ll improve the park visitors’ experiences, while enjoing the beauty of Mt. Pisgah! Park Watch volunteers can work in pairs, signing up for 2-hour shifts, and can earn a Lane County Parks parking pass for their service! For more information contact 541-747-3817 or [email protected]